5 Ways to Lengthen The Life of Your Luxury Mattress
The most important part of any bed is the mattress and this should be treated with the utmost respect. It may be hidden away beneath your sheets and blankets most of the time, but this is no reason to neglect it! If mattresses are kept in good condition they will last for around ten years. But if they are not given the care they deserve, then they will give up the ghost long before that time.
Here are 5 easy ways to get the maximum amount of use from your luxury mattress
1. It is never a good idea to get into the habit of sitting on the edge of a bed. This will put an unnecessary amount of pressure on a single part of the mattress and can cause lasting damage to the springs inside. Have you ever seen a bed that sags on one side? If so, it will normally have been caused by this...
2. If you need to move your mattress, then do not use its handles! These are only designed for positioning and if they are used when lifting the full weight it can cause permanent damage to a mattress.
3. We will all perspire whilst we are sleeping and mattresses can easily become stained over time. To prevent any stains or unpleasant odours fit a proper cotton mattress pad. This will help to absorb any perspiration and it can easily be washed in your machine.
4. You can also reduce the risk of unnecessary moisture by folding back the covers on your bed each morning and allowing your mattress to 'air'. Fold them right down to the foot of your bed and leave them for at least half an hour before remaking it.
5. Most mattresses will need to be turned over or rotated now and again to ensure even wear. Flipping a mattress every six months is normally sufficient and rotation is normally around the same, but always check the manufacturer's information first... For example, if you own a 'non-turn mattress', then it will not be necessary to flip it over at all.